Corrigendum and source code of demonstration programs
Molecular Gas Dynamics and the Direct Simulation of
Oxford University Press , 1994
ISBN 0 19 856195 4
Corrections to all, including the second reprint (1998)
- page 97, eqn(4.79), omega in exponent should be omega sub
- page 129, third last line, omega should be eta
- page 141, first line second paragraph: tau should be Z
- page 165, eqn (7.62) : the U in the denominator should be
- page 453, index reference to Burnett equations should be
70, not 74
- page 454, index reference to discrete ordinate method should
be 206, not 205
Corrections to both the first publication (1994) and reprint
- page 1, line 11 : "macroscopic" should read "microscopic"
- page 8, eqn (1.12) : there should be a bar over the first
- page 16, eqn (1.33b) : the terms involving the pressure tensor
should not be multiplied by the density
- page 19, eqn (1.51) ; the "/2 "should be removed
from the left hand side
- page 19, eqn (1.53) : the terms involving the pressure tensor
should not be multiplied by the number density
- page 89, first two sentences after eqn (4.46) should read
"......is also the mean relative speed in collisions only
for Maxwell molecules. The product of the total cross-section
and the relative speed of the other models........"
- page 121, eqn (5.72) : there is a superfluous ")"
on the right hand side
- page 165, eqn (7.58) : the final temperature term should
be raised to the power of plus rather than minus 1/2
- page 237, line 17 : Fig. 11.5 should be 11.7
- page 360, last line : Fig. 5.2 should be 5.3
- page 361, eqn (14.4) : (1-alpha) should be raised to the
- page 384, page 387 : 15.4 and 15.5 should be 15.5 and 15.6
in the sub-section title
- pages 387-8 : The increase in the diameter of the stream
molecule should have been such that the outgas-stream collision
cross-section increases by a factor of 10,000. This increase
should be 364 rather than 100.
- pages 204, line 46 : "( Bird 1986)" should be "(Bird
- page 206, lines 32-33 : the reference should be "Bird,
G.A., (1987), Nonequilibrium Radiation During Re-Entry at 10
km/s, Am. Inst. of Aero. and Astro. Paper 87-1543.
Corrections to the first publication (1994) only
- page 26, Fig. 1.9 : the equiv. velocities should be multiplied
by the square root of 2
- page 80, line 23 : "(C4)" should be "(B34)"
- page 102, line 15 : the overprinted characters at the end
of the line are k+l
- pages 137 and 144 : "eqn (6.49)" should be "eqn
- page 164, eqn (7.57) : the lower case u in the LHS denominator
should be upper case
- page 241, Fig. 11.9 : "eqn (5.49)" should be "eqn
- page 413, eqn (A5) : the first pi in the denominator shold
be raised to the power 3/2 rather than 1/2
In addition, a number of cosmetic changes were made.
Corrections to the demonstration programs
DSMC0V.FOR line 502 LS,MS should be KS,JS
DSMC1.FOR line 1083 add statement SUU=0.
DSMC1U.FOR line 1322 add statement SUU=0.
DSMC1S.FOR line 965 the statement SUU=0. should be added
DSMC1S.FOR the variables NCU and NCD should be added to those
in the restart file
DSMC2.FOR, DSMC2A.FOR, and DSMC3.FOR the variable BFND in the
restart file should be changed to FND
DSMC2A.FOR line 913 before this line add the statement A1=AT*(XS-XI)/DX
and change both occurrences of AT to A1 within the AIFR call at
DSMC3.FOR line 1062 there should be a *NSCZ in this term
DSMC3.FOR if a molecule is outside the domain in two directions,
logic should be added to determine which occurs first
The current versions of these programs can be downloaded as
the self-extracting (to a number of .FOR programs) ZIP file (189
(When run, this produces separate FORTRAN source files for
all the demonstration cases)